Santa Barbara Zen Center
Sensei Gary Koan Janka, Head Teacher and Officiating Priest
All Are Welcome
Beginners are invited to phone in advance to request zazen instruction: 213.479.9519
Sunday Morning Service, Zazen, & Dharma Talk
MacVeagh House, Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History
2559 Puesta del Sol
- 8:30 Set-Up
- 9:00 Sutra Service
- 9:25 Zazen (Sitting Meditation)
- 9:55 Kinhin (Walking Meditation)
- 10:05 Zazen (Sitting Meditation)
- 10:35 Dharma Talk
Those arriving during service may enter and take a seat.
Those arriving after the start of the first period of zazen must
wait to take a seat until after kinhin.
Sensei Koan offers private interviews during zazen;
his attendant will solicit requests from participants and explain protocols.
Tuesday & Thursday Open Sittings
Unity of Santa Barbara, 227 East Arrellaga Street
- Zazen (Sitting Meditation) from 6:30 to 8 am.
- The bell will ring at 7 and 7:30 signaling that practitioners may stand and stretch their legs.
- You may enter or leave at anytime.
- Chairs are provided. If you prefer, please bring your own zabuton and zafu (cushions).
for Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday morning Zazen:
$5 for each sitting, or $35 per month for regular SBZC practitioners.
Dana (generosity) for the teacher is also appreciated.
No one is turned away for lack of funds.
Please visit the EVENTS page for information about upcoming classes, retreats, and special services.